Mr. Bazaar on Instagram!

COPYRIGHT © 2009 - 2012 BRIGHT.BAZAAR

Thursday 29 November 2012

Three Ways To Add Colour With A Bookcase

Bookcases: whether big or small I'm sure we all have one in our home, right? This trusted storage staple is also an ideal element for bringing colour into a space, so I decided to pull together three ideas that do just that. Up first is 'exotic brights', a refreshing lime green scheme that utilises colour in a bookcase to visually pull two separate spaces together. This vibrant yet calming scheme is achieved by painting the recessed bookcase in the same hue as the stripes on the bathroom floor, resulting in a cohesive and spacious look. (If you're interested, I blogged the whole tour of this home last year.) Second on the Bookcase Billboard is 'lemon surprise' a high energy, palm springs inspired space that sees a colour block yellow bookcase take centre stage. By styling your bookcase with pieces from the same palette as the bookcase itself creates a striking colour-on-colour statement out of the piece, which brings stacks of vitality to the room. Finally, my favourite of the three looks, 'eclectic pastels'. Ideal for renters or crafty types, this look sees scraps of wallpaper or wrapping papered on the backs of random shelves from which complimentary colours are added through accessories making the bookcase look relaxed and effortless - and, crucially, not messy! Which of the three takes your vote, folks?
// 1. Alexandra Angle; photography by Lucas Allen | 2. Livingetc; photography by Chris Everard | 3. Pynt

21 comments:

  1. I love and appreciate the way you actually explain how design works. Thanks for such detailed and visually inspiring posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I surprised myself and am voting for the yellow. Normally, yellow is not my color aesthetic but something about this vignette speaks to me. I think it is the energy and the way the designer sprinkles the color throughout the space. You never fail to inspire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the idea of papering/painting the backs of bookcases--and i love that white wire chair in the second photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lemon surprise all the way... never thought to go monotone with objects and a bookshelf before. Really neat idea... bookcase styling is such a weak spot for me. This would be a good solution for a person like myself who is afraid of too much clutter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The middle pic is my fave!!! Love love love the lemon suprise. And the table is to die for! Amy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. #3!! I love it because I have my own little with bookshelf, and I adore pastels!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the eclectic pastels ..... the wall paper is just divine. We have some bookcases in our living room with recessed shelves, I've often thought about either painting them or wallpapering them. Hmmm I might do a before & after.. I leaning towards doing wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love #3! The pastels look so pretty but really you can create your own look with any pretty wallpaper you like + mix it when you get bored! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That green bookshelf is fab and i love the idea of papering on the shelves.

    Rachie xo
    PS: Still no baby!! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. No. 3 for me please! Those patterns, colours and the organised chaos totally won me over. I also like the idea that it is easily changeable depending on where the mood takes you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how the green ties in the two rooms and makes it feel a lot bigger! great visual trick.

    Also love #3 with the multi-hues and so much fun! I am helping my friend with her rental and no paint/wallpaper on walls. And I was just thinking of adding some billy bookcases to the space and give it a wallpaper backing for some color and fun!

    Great post Mr!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As you, my fav is the #3! And I'm thinking to do the same with my cabinet ;-)
    Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like them all, 3 is very cheerful! But number 1 takes my vote, its fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually like pic 1 best, its bold but crisp and not too much as the room is mostly white, the the bright colour is welcome, I like the idea of 3 but its maybe a bit busy for me. Using furniture itself as art work, rather than just a way of storing is a great idea. Furniture needn't be boring!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Strangely I would go for the last one. Love the mix of colours in the photo.
    Thank you so much for you comment on my styling. :) hx

    ReplyDelete
  16. That pop of yellow would actually look great in my grey office! Now the question is do I have to do all of the bookcases in that room, or just one?

    ReplyDelete
  17. The bathrooms my favourite.. not that I am in anyway biased! Love the floor.. doesn't look like tiles though..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lemon surprise!!Gorgeous!Yellow color make me happy because remind me sunny days and summer time!
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like that first lime recessed bookshelf Will! Great post :)

    Abbey x

    ReplyDelete
  20. As always...Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh, I love the colour of the second, up vote for the third: we recently papered the back of the shelves in my sons room with bright paper from paperchase and it really brightens up the room (and SO easy to do:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - each one makes my day!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
window.location.href="http://www.brightbazaarblog.com/?blogger=http://brightbazaar.blogspot.com/2012/11/three-ways-to-add-colour-with-bookcase.html";